Thursday 25 September 2014

Bring Back Creativity!

         So I was reflecting on my blog from last week and I realized why I found it so difficult to write…there was no structure, no guidance, and it was open-ended.  In my entire educational experience this was a first.  I have NEVER been assigned something where I can take the lead on, never has an assignment had so much freedom and I realized I did not know what to do with all my freedom.  Where would I start? Is this what the teacher would like? Does this meet the criteria?  The way the curriculum is structured it does not allow for creativity and open ended writing and this is why I feel so many of us had trouble with it.  I had no idea how to approach it.  Structure was gone and chaos came in.  I began to wonder exactly where in my educational career I lost my creativity, I used to thrive on free journal writing as it was a chance to be stress free and really write about anything I felt like.  The opposite occurred when writing my blog- I had more stress then I did writing a lab report or even a test.  I felt even worse when she mentioned genius hour-this did not have to connect to the readings in any way- which meant even less structure.  This led me to conclude that the way education is structured-rubrics, outlines, marks etc, sucks the creativity out of people and creates robots who cannot think for themselves.

photo retrieved from http://ambience.ca/blog/?p=136

            Since lack of creativity seems to be an issue in education I think it is an intelligent proposal to move from Bloom’s taxonomy to Bloom’s revised taxonomy.  


        This revised version applies more to the 21st century skills and higher order thinking skills.  This involves analysis, evaluation, creation, problem solving, creative thinking and creativity.  Students will learn the ‘basic’ skills such as multiplication and division as well as give students the opportunity to approach questions in a creative way through discussion with peers.  Higher order thinking involves critiquing the information you are given through critical thinking and this will allow students to think outside the box which I feel inspires creativity.  I feel like this is so important because great ideas were not comprised from memorization of multiplication problems or memorizing a reading.  Great ideas came to be though innovation and inspiration, which stems from creativity.  Advancements are made when someone has an idea and takes a risk and I think this should be encouraged in the classroom as it could lead to something profound such as a discovery in science. 

photo retrieved from http://hniforum-room13-mr-stove.wikispaces.com/Bloom's+Taxonomy

            In order to allow creativity to come into the classroom we as teachers must be on board with it and encourage it.  This would involve giving options to readings, or open-ended assignments, or things such as genius hour, which we will be doing in this class.  A science class does not have to solely be sitting in a desk listening to a teacher lecture, to encourage creativity students can be asked to come up with an experiment based on the information they learned that week.  Then at the end of the week the teacher could help the students to perform the experiment that they created.  For creativity to be in the classroom the curriculum is going to need to have a little bit of “wiggle room” to allow time for these activities that are open ended.  I understand that it may be a difficult to grade students on creativity but it is already being done in some schools.  In chapter 2 there was a story about a grade 10 class and the teacher incorporated creativity into the curriculum by assigning his class the task of writing their own song and perform it for guitar class.  The project involved planning, reflecting, deciding on tools, techniques etc and it was graded by formative assessment which was effective because the students co-constructed the assessment rubric with him so they understood and agreed with the expectations.
            That example was just one way to incorporate creativity in the classroom.  I feel there needs to be a balance between structured activities as well as open ended ones in education which goes back to the theme of last week’s blog- the new story.  Finding a balance between the old story as well as the new ideas and theories will create a balance that will ensure students receive the necessary information to advance in education as well as be creative and have fun with learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment